Friday, August 10, 2007

Somalia and Temposchlucker, or The Way of War





















Another note on Temposchlucker. And, as usual, a bit of prefatory chat and sideways exegesis along the way...

First I need to start with Somalia to make a word about Temposchlucker!

I work with and also serve people from literally all over the world. At my gigantic, intercity store, our customers include a large Asian population, a large Eastern European Population, and in fact a substantial population from north Africa, in particular Somalia, Eritrea, and Ethiopia, but mainly the prior. To those who don' already know it, Africa has huge diversity.














Of course, at the same time we also have our fair share in contrast with demographics from the Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, and Boeing Crowd, and this mix between the hard working poor, not so hard working poor, hard working well healed superrich (read stock options grants exercised then diversified into cash), and not so hard working leisure class makes life never dull at my store. Michael Kingsley, founder of Slate Magazine and previous terror of the world across from arch conservative Pat Buchanan, came in one day to flooring, and weeks ago, a towering and sveltely fit Shawn Kemp (he was on World Dream Team 2, in Toronto, then faced Michale Jordan in Seattle's first trip to the NBA finals since 1979) came into tools, and we chatted. I gave him titanium snips to try. Then we of course also have the homeless drug addicts who always come in late, all cracked out, for tubing. You can spot them from 100' away, and not such by dress as a vibe or aura.

Many Somalis come would come into flooring, as they love carpet runners, as this is part of their idea of high civilization. They come in, literally screaming at each other, and I learned in time to cringe from head to toe when I would see them coming, and after 40 minutes of arguing with each other, MIGHT ask you to cut 40' of 26" hallway carpet runner, or just leave after long and protracted screaming in Somali. Sorry, but true.














I also learned that there were other Somalis who were educated, hard working, and who did not yell. I learned that from only 90 miles away, similarly the Eritreans might as well have been from another planet, in embodying civil conduct and discourse, and like them very much, and of course the same can be said of the Ethiopians. For similarly with Iran and Iraq, how can you grow or evolve a civilization for 2 or 3,000 years and not learn some really deep things.

I work with a man from Somalia named Mohamed-Ali, and he is the hardest working, most moral man, with such a beautiful spirit. He never cuts corners, always does the right thing, and even while managing to stop to pray dutifully several times a day, like me, never seems to miss the appropriate recognition of the female being.



















Desperate Housewife Actress Nicollette Sheridan before the big wedding

These educated, civilized Somalis are absolutely incredible people, and I have known several. They speak English and Swahili alike, oftentimes, and sometimes Arabic, of course, if not Italian. They are tough people, too.














At work, I have learned that there are MEN that, no matter what their size or brain, they have a certain something, and it is most rare, but I always feel, that if I ever had to go to war and fight for my life, that I would wish to stake my life with them at my side, knowing day after day what they can do, what they stand for, and their indomitable will to win or do a task--quick, correct, and zealously. And this man is such a one, that I would fight next to a gigantic battle. I have known two or three men like this in five years there.

Now Temposchlucker. He is such a man. If I had to fight a battle, he is such a one that I would stand next to. The other day, I needed five games missing from the VERY shoddy chessGames.com database, both incomplete and inaccurate in many instances both by their data, and the assessments of it's users, and was in the process in DK crazed way,

or what he calls (I asked him what nick name he had for me, in a private conversation about a phantom of a blogger's nickname):
"The Mad Napper" comes close, however it original was "The big napper", but that
doesn't rhyme. :)


was in the process of such a big download, and just HAD to have those games, wrote tempo, and also wrote GM Seirawan, who very promptly wrote IM John Donaldson, on my behalf, saying that "John was the database guy" (cf his much comprehensive and acclaimed comprehensive book on Rubinstein written with Yasser's friend Minev), with its seemed, two sets of emails crisscrossing the Atlantic Ocean at once, all emanating from the very smart back waters of Amsterdam, and, you know what?:















chatting with aids to cognition (NOT Joel Benjamin in background!) with David Navara at Bessel Kok's wedding in Prague.

tempo had the answers in minutes. The final part, I had stopped in waiting on, at Soltis Greatest Chess Games of the 20th Century, game 14, and elected to go grocery shopping, leaving my chessbase9 running, thinking: "you know what, I will stop here, I bet when I get back, game 15 will be waiting for me". And, upon my return, there it was. From temposchlucker.

There was an email back from Yasser, but it was a forward of his reply to Donaldson of his forward to Silman and Yasser of the video of the ten year old lion and his pride taking down a buffalo, when the latter's family comes spectacularly comes romping in. War indeed.

He dug his heals down and found the three games I couldn’t find, and had the first two as I found them in ChessBase. This man truly loves chess. He has huge inner resources. I hope that you all listen to him, not that he needs me to promote him, or needs more readers (he doesn't), but this man loves chess as fish loves water, and I value him greatly.

I have more, but this will do for today.

I am forging ahead in chess study gallantly, and what was my 941 game database now has added the GM-Ram games, and the Soltis games, and not omitting duplicates, it is now 1,663 games. I will be at the end of them, first pass, by 21 February, in time for Seattle spring.

Agenda:

25 GM games per week: is 3 per day most days and 5 per day on weekend days off from work, including tagging game features by category * in a big xls spreadsheet; 4o CTS per day, miminum; 5 Reinfeld per day most days and ten per day on weekends; RHP: analysis of variations on my single correspondence game. Bullet, as time, but more notably energy, allows thereafter. Blogger as I can.

There are two main bloggers who inexplicably refuse to let me have their personal emails, and all I can say, is that they are missing out, and everybody in my circle now has a fresh copy of this database, but how can I send it to you if you don’t trust me enough to let me talk to you offline, but trust me enough to read my stuff on a regular basis?? You reap what you sow.

Let there be rest now.

Thank you to the mighty temposchlucker.

*includes ply, name, result, center, sacrifice, endgame type, promotion, piece play, pawn structure, ECO, opening name, identifying first moves, middlegame character, castles, strategy, etc.

14 Comments:

Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

The only thing I know about Somalians is that I don't want to see one with a machete in his hand, and if I do I will run like hell!

Classic DK post, perhaps with the randomness knob turned up to 11 rather than the usual 10.

As far as people not wanting to give out their emails, ya gotta respect people's boundaries.

Fri Aug 10, 08:10:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are certainly the one of the most special chess bloggers out there. Anyway, I got a question for you. I just started doing some problems from Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Sacrifices and Combinations and have a very low success rate solving them so far. From your experience, how tough would you rate the problems in this book compared to CTS?

Fri Aug 10, 10:19:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

good question.

i have a marking system with a pen, and i dont get that many right.

i view this activity as one of effort, rather than reliability.

i COULD get maybe 65 to 70%, but would lower my rate of progress demonstrably. it is my assuredly goal to do all 3001 problems by 31 dec, 2008. i turn 50 in october next year.

1001 sacrif and combin, 100 checkmates, and emms ultimate chess puzzle book.

unlike CTS where i have high standards, this is just the old give me thirty push ups now thing, but at times, i labor single problems for days.

other times, i run through them.

i got up after four hours sleep, to view the stock market (i am short the Nasdaq in the face of this financial meltdown), and to get back to sleep, had the book in bed... one more hour, and now i am fine.

some i mark (( )), some (), some ((( ))) there is more too it, but hard to describe fast. some i know the first move, but not the continuation. some the move and next move and the one after that, but not six or seven moves out... sometimes, i get all the moves.

i do it in my head, always, no board. often in bed or at the beach, on a towel or at the commode. :)

i only go for the hint when i am at diminishing returns.

warmest, dk

Fri Aug 10, 12:00:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answer. I am doing them without board, too, hoping that I can improve my visualization skills. Good luck with the Nasdaq!

Fri Aug 10, 12:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger takchess said...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1005796

Fri Aug 10, 01:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Hi David! It seems I've lost your mail address. Could you send it to my usual address. It is back online. Good to see you're still alive and dangerous! ;)

Take care

-Chris

Sun Aug 12, 12:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jack Le Moine said...

I’m sorry I have to contact you like this but I can find no other way to contact you.
--------------------

Announcing the first ever Chess Blog Carnival to be held on September 1, 2007 at my blog.

There are now thousands of carnivals on the web. Almost every area of interest has its own carnival. Except for chess blogs. Until now.

The advantages of having a chess carnival: (1) For bloggers – to showcase a sample of their work to the chess community; (2) For readers – to sample content from a wide variety of chess blogs in one place. A Chess Blog Carnival will also encourage quality work. If a blogger knows that his piece is being showcased right alongside pieces from the other blogs, then that serves as a motivator right there.

I don’t mean to be presumptuous in doing this. I just know that instead of complaining about nobody doing something, pointing fingers, and endless discussing, sometimes it’s best that someone just steps up and gets the ball rolling. That’s what I’m doing. If someone else wants to take over, then that would be fine with me. In fact, I need all the help on this that I can get.

First, hosting. The successful carnivals rotate blog hosts from month to month.

Second, publicity. The successful carnivals have a number of blogs who post an announcement on the upcoming carnival on their blogs and keep doing so each month.

Third, participation. Successful carnivals have a large sample of work from their blogging communities. Note here, bloggers don’t do any additional work. A carnival is not for original pieces written just for the carnival. A carnival is for work that has already been posted onto the blog.

I’ll try to contact as many blogs this weekend as possible. I’d like the initial roll-out of this venture to be as high quality as possible. Once people see what a chess carnival can look like, then they can have a better idea of what this is all about. Please help!

Here the link for further information on this:
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_2250.html
That page includes a link to submit a post from your blog for inclusion in the carnival.

Jack Le Moine
jacklemoine.blogspot.com

Sun Aug 12, 08:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It's always a bit uneasy to react if you are the subject yourself. This is the first time I'm compared with a Somalian warrior. I guess it's your revenge that I called you the Mad Napper. At least it gave Margriet a good laugh!

For those who don't understand what this post is about, I have found 5 pgn's for DK, faster than the friends of Yasser Seirawan. DK couldn't find the games because of different spelling of the names confused matters. This post is DK's way to carve a statue for me.

Mon Aug 13, 03:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Thanks for explaining, Tempo.

If this were jail, Tempo would be the guy who could get you stuff.

Mon Aug 13, 08:00:00 AM PDT  
Blogger likesforests said...

"3 per day most days and 5 per day on weekend days off from work"

Are you concerned that, by the time you finish, you will have forgotten many of the early games? Loomis and I were just discussing things forgotten, which at some point in most lives outnumbers things remembered. ;)

Mon Aug 13, 08:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jack Le Moine said...

Thanks for your query. You can get my e-mail by clinking on my picture and then clicking on the link e-mail.

Mon Aug 13, 04:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

temoo:
thank you. id not quite say that i was comparing YOU with a Somali warrior, but, rather, the commonality of the nobility of confidence that you KNOW what a man can do, will do it, and having been witness to it repeatedly.

true, i discuss Somali's in their various but very distinctly seperate facets, of which there are many--both violent and argumentative, as well as noble, and very civilized, in some key ways far more civilized than us industrialized societies.

the shock we feel at times, in seeing the seething throngs of third world persons, i remind, can be found in them AT witnessing us, how terrable we can be, and how careless.

likeForests:
good points. i get around our area pretty widely, and DID read Loomis excellent blog last night, and of course saw your comments also, thank you.

i think that some of my massive coverage seeps in, and some flows back out the way it came... to some loss.

i can but for now only note, that if my goal was to memorize tactics and games, i would be approaching things quite differently. my goal is activity itself.

in investment sales, as i have said many times, first you must make enough phone calls. then latter, better calls, then in better calls, better accessment of how much energy to devote to each prospect... "David, your very survival in this (THAT!) business depends on how well you will do that", Lance Lu, thank you! Bravo!

it is the old Pareto's law thing in chess, recently back into discussion at Wahrheits blog last month...

so, for now, all i am doing is establishing familiarity. viewing lots of GM games. if i go to slow, i will get bogged down, but too fast, and perhaps too superficial.

scale is a great matter in chess study. to go slowly enough to work the brain hard, but not so slow at B-/C++ level as to impede the compression of knowledge and familiarity of patterns where more quicker is--FOR ME!--far better than less slower.

my personality is built on stimulation, and that is what i must feed.

i dont see it as a heuristical formulaic protocol, so much as a flow where stuff sticks in time, and you just keep moving, and make sure you do enough.

my tendancy is to pick one thing and dwell on it, so try to ameliorate that by SOME tactics, some endings, some GM games, some bullet or live chess.

this is my current MO, modus operendae, to run ALL my horses each several days.

warmest, dk

Mon Aug 13, 04:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

tempo get me stuff?
a 29 year old girl from Eastern Europe, with a heavy accent, wearing a 'stringy top' and green army pants, with braided ponytails such as college ('legal') girls wear after school, eager for free leasons in Samuel Huntington's Clash of Civilizations, or James Dimond's Collapse, washed down with deep dark red Scotish beer, the 9.2% kind, listening to Kraftworks Autobhan eating home made Lasagne, to the euphoneous sound of Japanese windchimes, swinging near a hammock, with lightly punctuated girgling fountains, with soft tall bamboos swaying in a gentle breeze.

Mon Aug 13, 05:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

LOL

tempo, you have your order.

I'd like one with pepperoni.

Tue Aug 14, 09:06:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home