Monday, August 07, 2006

Letters to a Young 1200 ELO Soul

To Philwillb at chess tactical server, or CTS at chess.emarld.net is darn good! way to go. 90% is the bomb! Thank you for sharing.

One suggestion (if I may humbly suggest [I am only 1650 but do love to study]:),

I believe that I can show that I am able to make reasonable comments with care and respect for other persons without making a MESS of things:











* some blitz with increment (so you don't wind up in a silly mouse race) such as 3/12 =3min 12 sec increm (this is 11 minutes. an average game of 38 moves is 10:36: five minutes is just too fast for now; and fifteen does NOT allow you to rapidly ramp up to get the experience you need, such as a thousand or more game to start). Review your mistakes each time, however briefly. Do NOT just hit start and begin a new game. Take a moment.

* balance this with review of GM games. you can get some via pgn files, and view them in winBoard. If you really want to become a "real chess player", I CANNOT SUGGEST ANYTHING better than to not only learn to save, copy, and paste games simply into winBoard (chessBase.com has a competing commercial platform. winBoard is free shareware and will get you started handsomely), but to load the 62 simple, clean, eligant games by hand or manually into pgn of lovely and dear Irving Chernev's The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played.

While his more popular Logical Chess Move by Move is also quite good, this first book ties together simple middle to endgame transitions in memorable form. If you load then review one game every four days, you can have it done in eight months. This will solidify anyones play from swashbuckling to more solid, well-knit play. The founations of Strategy and study as against Tactics and time pressure.

* basic endings. Pandolphinis Endgame Course has a few errors, but as Florida Master and early pioneer in chess blogging, A.J. Goldsby aptly says, the book is great anyway. It is all there!

* slower tactics. CT-Art is too advanced for you (yet), but my dear friend at blogger Blue Devil Knight raves about Chess Tactics for Beginners. I'm impressed.

Looking forward to your future comments.

FYI, if you or anyone else cares to post a comment at chess.emrald.net that I am not a bad guy but DO need an edit feature, and tell Tempo that what he said was not particularly gracious, I'd much appreciate that. Sad. I have been, I thought, gracious to him in private email including notifying him in early July--personally--within mintues of my discovering that the server was back up and running, and have writen him always constructivley here at blogger, wrote many nice comments to him at chess.emrald.net, and he says this to me in public when he could have done it privately? What punishment do I deserve? What have I done to deserve this?

Its ten times better if someone else says it and asks the rancor at CTS to stop please, and I made an honest mistake that I am really sorry for. Sorry folks. Volunteers, please?



At the same time, now we have another issue: some are 1600 elo in chess but 1200 elo in kindness and spiritually and I pray for the expansion of their hearts. Disloyalty stings and kind loyalty can make a world kind and decent. Thank you.

David, aka dktransform at CTS

7 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

He David, I was just in jest. Didn't you see the smiley at the end of the comment? Maybe chessdog made that you overlooked that? Sorry, I didn't meant to offend you or bite your head of. It was just a silly way to be funny. If I could write it in dutch, everybody would have laughed. But in english, I can't bring over all the subtleties that I want.
"cheap shot" is my middle name.

Mon Aug 07, 11:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

thank you for your kindness here dirk. i believe you.

in context publically, however, it just seemed to help 'cd' pile on. inexplicably, for reasons that i do not know or cannot understand, i seem to disturb him when this is the last thing i intend. i value interpersonal harmony, not least of which in hyperspace where people can hide behind impersonal ID's and throw cheapos. it seems to me we have a really good group here, everyone is suportive, and when critical, at least constructive and willing to ameliorate.

instead of saying too bad for him, or disparage him back, i have the fault but also the gift of caring. its who i am. on top of it all, complexifying it, his work is one that i greatly respect. but now it must rest in silence, as he seems to require. no problem. i can adapt and hate to disturb folks. but such anger on his part! i must assume, in fact, that i remind him of someone that HE himself knows very well, in practical psychology...

then the nasty cheapo to wormwood upsets me very much. is there anyone other than you or wormwood who can step in, and make a comment?

spacecowboy is perfect for this, and will be heeded, but i have no way to reach him. his post here is old.

i wish this back bitting would stop. i wrote the operator, who i can only assume is german, and not knowing the culture, must assume live and let live is deeply engrained so they let 'cd's comment from two weeks ago stand, when i asked for it to be removed--please, but i got no response at all... then the guy from ireland (Wexwordfox: 1564 6,060 tries) calling him a piece of xyz. that wasn't nice. it is self perpetuating.

this new guy BenDover who is obviously the same person as Typing Prodigy, now he is on the bandwagon. same minutes. same low tries. same lower hasty percentage. same country. same brand new log in. same comment adjacency.

on top of it all, ive had a really, really hard week. not an emotionally negative one, but physically grueling... i meet about 2,000 people a week at my job, and im not kidding or exadurating.

lastly, if it amuses any, you know my last name. we always thought that we were German. but we traced it back. no; im half dutch. my name K__n means grain in german, or some type of hard kernal. id go to holland to live, but am too old to start over. but what a great country. what a great society. what inteligence!

lest anyone think i only boast of good days on end, i am 25/101=126 which, for me, is a real meltdown disaster, my head hurts, i never take asparin, and i just took one... i missed my coveted 90% last night by one problem, when wolla, the page timed out. hadnt happened all since i got this new pc,and i spent hours trying to get 'it; back... so funny how the crazy committed CTS folks can fixate on stuff... 12 step programs abound.

im glad we have passed through this, and well wishes till our next post. the chinese word for crisis is indeed opportunity.

Tue Aug 08, 12:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Encourage the positive, ignore the negative. That way the average level will rise.

Tue Aug 08, 02:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger wormwood said...

bah, it doesn't have the faintest effect on me if someone says to me 'you suck'. and I even suspect it was humor sprung from the very very serious message that bughousemaster wrote. it's the internet, people say stuff. no reason to take it seriously. I'm not here to babysit anybody.

and I think you're taking chessdog (among other things) way too seriously, probably because you're stressed out? of course he's acting like an ass, but so what?

I know what I'm about as a person, you know what you are, and no amount of internet crackpots is going to change that by running their mouths. I see it more as entertainment. :)

Tue Aug 08, 04:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger wormwood said...

come to think of it, chessdog is probably attempting some kind of crude humor too. -why else would he have referenced to himself as 'your arch nemesis'? that's pretty funny to me at least. :)

Tue Aug 08, 04:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

i used to drink to shut off my brain (my Guru told me 'to drink for release'!), but previous deep depression made it clear that that was no answer long term--at least for me. :)

but tomorrow night, i have a date (hemmm!) with a, shall we say, well appointed russia woman who asked me out. when i told her i had a friend who beat kasparov twice, that sure turned her on!

to her, chess is sexy. :)

chears to tempo, and blue, and worm, you guys are all the best! we work like dogs.

Tue Aug 08, 05:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger sciurus said...

David - nice blog. If you like to use free (chess) software, take a look at Scid. It is great for organising and analysing games!

Tue Aug 08, 09:40:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home