Thursday, October 18, 2007

Slug Fest as in Strike, not as in Slugs













Only 252 bullet games in seven of the last eight days. With one day off, that amounts to 31.3 games per day. I played till past seven a.m++ the last two nights. Mind you, I get off work at 11 p.m. but having been going to bed at 8 or 8:30 a.m.

Recently, as my gluten free diet kicks in (more on this next post, and this is just a taste, no pun intended), I admit to never being tired, and after four or five hour live chess sessions, I am not tired after three hours prepartion before that. :) In the last four nights, I have had only 19.7 hours sleep. Only two naps Sunday night, and one last night, no more than 20 minutes each three days ago then only 7 minutes last night.












This last bullet game--to me--shows why LOTS of slowish (but still timed) tactics at CTS (chess tactical server) can still boost a chess players strength and sight of the board. You are basically going from habitual 9 to 22 second drills, to a game averaging four to five per move for EACH of the moves. :)

Technically, 11. ...Nd4 is not a crusher, but in bullet, you throw problem after problem at your opponent, and, if they start to drift, the clock starts to flag. Remember, this is increment bullet. In 'normal' 'real chess', such a move as this is NOT devastating.


But he missed it. Thereby, suddenly out of nowhere I find a crushing attack, that EVEN I who originated it hadn't seen--but quickly realized that I in fact had. At first all I saw was an easy pawn win, or a tiny little trap. All he needed to do was move 12. Qf2.

We tend to start out in increment bullet with a resouvour of time, since after ten moves, you might make them in a second each, and then have a time bank of forty seconds. But then you or they start to really think after the usual flurry. You do actually plan, but you do it fast! So when you throw them a zinger, they might after a moment of--say--twenty seconds sit back and take it all in, and when you uncork a move, they then freeze and as if they said: 'holly-molly, now what do I do?' and now as the clock comes down to eight or ten seconds, they (or I!) have to move.

Good bullet players can feel the clock. I don't look at the clock much. In fact, I am truly amazed at how often when I do move and then get to actually have time to look at the clock, amazed at how often there is only 8 or 12 seconds left, etc.

You say to yourself: 'I know that I have to move now'. As temposchlucker more or less said in his marvelous recent post, much of chess has these micro strategies or positional plays, and each can add 0.1 or 0.2 to a position. So you learn to make a decision on demand. In bullet you learn to move on demand, every single time. And since you cannot calculate it all, you must necessarily feel it, and so much feeling is bound to resolve into recognizable level of play by definition, since randomness is fairly evenly distributed.

Now, very technically, 19. ...Nf5 doesn't quite work. I usually only fritz or examine my bad losses that were painful lost 'wins in the bag' to see where I went wrong, or, in this instance, to relish 'pretty wins'.

While fritz shows f5 as very strong, and follows from another second or third best move (in retrospect), 17. ...Bc6, bearingly down unrelentingly against the painfully placed white Q at f3. Also, my Rf8 nascently pressures this file.

And here is my point. The N move to f5 is disturbing. I admit, I saw at a glance Rxc6 (perhaps immediately after I made my move had reconsiderations), and suspected my move might be bad, and as the clock ticked, was worried. But he didn't take the B at c6.

Isn't that called 'hope chess?' Yes. But in bullet, we are both in this same rush, and when you throw complications out, there just isn't always time to find the best recourse. And, of course, I was convincingly winning either way, but just faster. We never try to make a worser move, but in bullet, sometimes a second rate move is the one to set things off balance or 'create imbalances'.

In real chess, we'd all get to see this, but bullet is a game of instinct, and with 0/4, many a game go to + 3 min, and offer decent endgames, which I have had into the high 4 minute range--avoiding the ruination of 5/0 penultimate and final armaggedon terror.


















38. ...Bh2+ is devastating:

[Event "FICS rated lightning game"] [Date "2007.10.18"]
[White "gambiitti"] [Black "dk"] [WhiteElo "1499"] [BlackElo "-"]
[TimeControl "0+4"][Mode "ICS"] [Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e6 2. Nc3 d5 3. f3 dxe4 4. fxe4 Be7 5. g3 c5 6. Bg2 Nc6 7. d3 Nf6 8. Be3 O-O 9. h3 Rb8 10. g4 Qc7 11. Qf3 Nd4 12. Bxd4 cxd4 13. Nce2 Qxc2 14. Rc1 Qxb2 15. Kf2 Bd7 16. g5 Ne8 17. h4 Bc6 18. Nh3 Nd6 19. Nf4 Nf5 20. Qh3 Ne3 21. Bf3 Bd6 22. h5 Bxf4 23. g6 h6 24. gxf7+ Rxf7 25. Qxe6 Re8 26. Qg6 Rf6 27. Qg1 Ref8 28. Rb1 Qxa2 29. Ra1 Qe6 30. Nxd4 Qd6 31. Nxc6 Qxc6 32. Rc1 Qb6 33. Ke2 Rc6 34. Rxc6 bxc6 35. Rh4 Qb2+ 36. Ke1 Qc1+ 37. Kf2 Qd2+ 38. Be2 Bh2+ 39. Rf4 Bxg1+ 40. Kxg1 Rxf4
{White resigns} 0-1

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

suppose q back to d1 would have been the best response to nd4. and yeah, i missed rxc6, which would have been devastating.

anyways, congratulations for the wins.

Thu Oct 18, 03:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

thank you. you are probably half a rank better than me at chess, i feel, and you are a great opponent, and to play you, is, for me, a real 'treat'.

that you are a fin, makes it doubly sweet. my oldest friend on planet earth, as i have told wormwood, many a time, is Estonian or Finnish,

and my overall impression is that you are the smartest persons anywhere. bahus, wormwood, you. himmm? im wondering if smart and beautiful women from....

BTW, RxNc6 doesnt take the game back to white, but moves the crushing advantage for me from +4 or 5 etc down to a strong advantage at +1.6.

warmest, dk

Thu Oct 18, 03:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger likesforests said...

I think I am ready to take a break from blitz. I find it very helpful at transferring what I can solve to the automatic and instinctual level, developing intuition, and becoming familiar with the middlegames that result from my opening. But it's less helpful at teaching me new insights, learning to calculate deeply, and never accepting the first candidate move that crosses my mind.

Thu Oct 18, 12:37:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are wasting your time with all these bullet games. All the great teachers will tell you that a little bit of blitz chess is good for you but that's it.

Play games of at least G/60

J.B. USCF 2322

Thu Oct 18, 02:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

thanks JB. Your qualifications and direct experience as 'one who has done it' cannot be in doubt, and i truly appreciate your input.

i hadnt played for a LONG time, and this is to get the rust off, and compress a lot of chess experience-for now only. works for me. ive really gotten to do a lot of opening and endgame experimentation playing WHILE outside live fast chess doing both a lot of slower tactics, or rather massive CTS timed tactics, AND that combined with CT-Art done with GREAT CARE, so its not like im just flinging mud all day recklessly. i have correspondence chess, too.

if all i did was whip out moves all day, you SHOULD be concerned, but there is more to it here!

then personality or body type as against chess technique. i get frozen in life at times, and this not only gets me moving--literally--but keeps me moving. no pun intended.

i suffer from depression, and am almost recovered, and see a MD specializing in holistic health, classical homeopathic, osteopathy, and a psychological nutritionist, beating it all without any anti-depresents, upon his advise, my pride and joy!

nevertheless, you are probably right in the long run, and my plan is to end this unit ASAP and

has been my on-going concrete and specific plan FOR MONTHS, but have a very specific goal ive told no one of save the tiniest handful of closely held chess friends. i am close now.

do you know of my coach, Charles Galofre, kamikazi-squad at ICC? he just got his FM, and drew Kraii, and is 2338. bravo charles, im so proud of you. he played well in miami, and was just at the Western States Open in, was it, Reno last week?

warmly, dk

Thu Oct 18, 06:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Great post.

The lifestyle you describe sounds like classical mania. I am worried about you. I'm sure it feels great right now, but I hope you and your doctor are taking all precautions against the crash that comes with such episodes....too bad people don't have unipolar disorder, all the mania without the depression. :)

Fri Oct 19, 09:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Robert Pearson said...

Hi dk, yes Charles was at the Western States with me and 338 or so other chess warriors, scored 3/6 in the Open section and gained a few rating points...

Fri Oct 19, 10:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

BDK: im alright. i have slept quite well, and am throught that little epiSode, sleeping the last two nights 15.8 hours. :) no bullet last night, rest till one last push--hopefully.

then i get to quit bullet the way you got to graduate from CTB.

i admit, i get pretty driven some times, but have been that way for the last 33 years, while managing to get quite a bit of sh_t done. most people think im 39 or younger, sometimes 40, but rarely more, and a good diet is my saving grace instead of going down the tubes.

my mind is not normal. not in any way. im not kim peek. but im my own variety, and cannot pretent to be anything but me.

but im more touched that you would care to write such words than taken aback. just like i am starting to say more and more: 'lets get real', and you did that. good! lets all be real! thank you.

love dk

Fri Oct 19, 12:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

DK: I'm jealous, then! I wish I had such verve and energy. You are truly unique.

Fri Oct 19, 01:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

how many persons, my dear friend, seriously and kindly and with no rancor to you, but ask you, how many do you know who are meditation teachers, or yoga instructors, or vegetarians?

many of these folks, if they are on a really, really good diet with near zero emotioal baggage to weigh down their energetic shieth, find that four hours--at times, or for spates of time, is quite normal. and they are not tired. but they are deeply engaged IN SOMETHING...

AND THAT is not mania, but love, passion, engagement, and/or creativity. DaVinchi, Michelangelo, Nietzsche, they all slept little. some Rishis never sleep or sleep an hour or two.

Just as Kim Peek lacked that central division in his brain, so they too lacked some neural division, and the energy just flowed.

i wish my life upon no one, but i am a mega power plant.

i make all my own food. i dont eat out ever. i eat fruit to start the day, then vegs, then light meat and or tofu ive render ALL fat off of, often organic. no hormones.

i supress little emotion. im direct with those around me. constructive but firm boundaries. i am a team player at work, a late life learning i used to hate but now love. i keep my word. i do as i say. if anyone crosses me, i address it swiftly. i manage my managers as best as i can. i forget nothing in a job setting. am i 100% high functioning? NO! but some parts are headed that way.

to manage it, is the story of my life. im almost 2/3rds of the way there.

Fri Oct 19, 02:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

... and the depth of my thirst to attain my bullet chess goal has no bottom!

Fri Oct 19, 02:12:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home