Saturday, October 20, 2007

Test Viewer, Under Review


















Lots to say to my friends here, lots to do, lots to polish in a viewer, but to my good friends at chessBlogger, this is simply way better than nothing! I promise to continue to deeply research the best way to do this. Notes by Ignoramus's PGN viewer helped enormously, and it is still a minefield of difficulties and distinctions I don't quite need yet (my goal is first to study, then to play, then to share what I find and accomplish), and THEN to polish things like this THE RIGHT WAY. But that must necessarily come last in my hierarchy of needs (at this time, as they say)!

[addendum, late last night, Sunday:] What did the Wall Street Journal say, was it, in 1997 about SAP R3, "The demonically difficult German Software"? FYI, my client at Morgan Stanley was the Senior Partner at the big six public accounting firm Deloitte and Touche who concurrently implemented this at Microsoft AND Boeing at once, recalling to me, that--was it COO--le enfant terrible Bob Herbold [1] told everyone at Microsoft 'that there would be no delays allowed, and that we are going to stay on a fixed schedule' and, by gosh, they did:



dk in a coffee shop after fifteen emails with/from temposchlucker and an entire day trying to make my embed work like Getting to 2000's!

Folks like Porku show the right way using a LT-PGN-VIEWER which evidentally has many variations and flexability. While it allows self control it also takes a lot of fuss. Other information is shown at 'The Quick and Dirty Guide to Using LT-PGN Viewer' by Edward Gaillard, linked by the Kenilworth Chess Club here, with anther example here. Getting to 2000 has perhaps the the best example here. I love this clear, crips, congent easy method. He posts a diagram, then provides a link to an external web page. Opinions, ladies and gents??


























Above is my first shot at a viewable game of mine.

It's not anywhere near the chess publishing level of 'Getting to 2000's' above, but, again, it's well enough to see the chess without duct tape, superglue, and banded string! BDK has kindly and often assisted me, looking over my shoulder in many html distinctions and areas, not to mention dogged insistence (here) on no one using txt (and slightly here). My goodness! Lots of little steps = big steps. Remember, 16 months ago, I never moved one spot of html in my entire life. :)

This is all very, very important to me. I am to visual phenomenom what a fish is to water, and I hate crap [ugly but works, see the Andrew Grove, or ICC variety here; and the recently trumped chess.com variety here (No disrespect to BDK but I don't like this site; again, with no offence to the great blog by polly or Castling Queenside, she has the chess publisher variety which, to my architect trained eyes just is not satisfying, similar to the ESPN and Sports Illustrated like chess Videos.com). Rook Van Winkle has another variety that is truly marvelous, which I have not researched]. [This one by chesspastebin.com, per BDK's kind mention in comments below. Bravo. I will try it! Thank you!] ChessVideos.TV is yet one more application with an example here. [addendum: 10/26/06 from a fabulous example that I found last night, in re-visiting Glenn Wilson which shows the depth to which one can use the LT-PGN viewer, where all the games are shown on one page, which cannot be bad. Shown here! Nice job Glenn!!]












I will get this right. But chess it is, and here is--yes, you guessed it--my last game, of which I am duely proud, so let the chess begin, and let me get back to my chess (I played 63 games last night over 5.5 hours of play. After only 4.2 hours sleep last night right afterwards, and a fifteen minute nap today, I am NOT tired and so very hungry for blood now).

[Date "2007.10.20"] [Time "07:41:45"] [Round "-"] [White "dk"] [Black "RookEFile"] [WhiteElo "--"] [BlackElo "1422"] [TimeControl "0+4"] [Mode "ICS"] [Result "1-0"]

1. Nf3 Nc6 2. g3 d6 3. Bg2 e5 4. c4 Bd7 5. d3 Be7 6. Nc3 Nf6 7. O-O O-O 8. Bg5 h6 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. Nd5 Rb8 11. Nxf6+ Qxf6 12. a3 Ne7 13. b4 c6 14. Nd2 Bf5 15. Ne4 Bxe4 16. Bxe4 Ng6 17. Rc1 Qe6 18. Qc2 f5 19. Bg2 f4 20. c5 d5 21. e4 fxe3 22. fxe3 Rxf1+ 23. Rxf1 Rf8 24. Rxf8+ Kxf8 25. Qf2+ Qf6 26. Bh3 Ke7 27. Qxf6+ gxf6 28. Bc8 b6 29. cxb6 axb6 30. Bb7 Kd6 31. Bc8 Ne7 32. Bh3 b5 33. Kf2 f5 34. g4 fxg4 35. Bxg4 e4 36. dxe4 dxe4 37. Ke2 c5 38. Kd2 Kd5 39. Kc3 c4 40. Bd7 Nc6 41. Bxc6+ Kxc6 42. Kd4 c3 43. Kxc3 Kd5 44. Kb3 Ke5 45. a4 bxa4+ 46. Kxa4 Kf5 47. b5 Kg4 48. b6 Kf3 49. b7 Kxe3 50. b8=Q Kf2 51. Qf4+ {Black resigns} 1-0

[2] In the odd way of life, I made all the rounds with the top labor and employment attorneys in Seattle, after leaving Morgan, to see if I could sue their ass for, believe you me, I was not the only one who did wrong ('It was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianappolis 500' Col. Kurtz in epic Appocolypse Now), and made it as far as the senior partner at a big law firm, telling him my story for 2.5 hours, and, at the end, he told me:

"I'm going to have to go in a bit, because I have to take the deposition of Bob Herbold tomorrow for EIGHT HOURS for a client of mine, against Microsoft. Mr K. this is a very big matter you have. For the way you were treated, I think that Morgan Stanley should be horrably and mercylessly punished. Since Washington is an 'At Will State' (can fire without cause: read all is written and indemnified for the BIG companies to be inviolable and migrate all risk to the employees with large stakes), and given your contract with them, I really don't think you have a case. I am recommending you get on with your life. But since this is such an important matter, I am recommending you get a second opinion from XYZ who specializes in reading the exact facts. He can do it".

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're only after a no frills "game replayer", you might want to try the Chess Publishing for blogs tool: http://chess.maribelajar.com/chesspublisher/index.php.

I've seen it used in quite a lot of blogs, and I use it in mine. All you really have to do is paste the PGN text of your game in one screen, click a button, and it will produce a code that you can paste directly into the body of your blog post.

You can find a sample of how it looks like in this post: http://chesstyro.com/blog/2007/10/21/back-to-back-losses-end-smerdon%e2%80%99s-essent-campaign/.

Sun Oct 21, 05:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

How is you blitz rating developing? Do you have a graph?

Sun Oct 21, 06:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

chesstyro, thank you. yes, of course ive looked at it before. ive seen them all!

i DONT like it. i am truly embaressed to say, but i am not an html or script writer natural, but stayed up part of last night, trying to take my tool to the next step, and darn well nearly succeeded. too much time when otherwise as you say a one step no frill tools is available? no.

i solve this once, and will be able to replicate it.

following these links i indicate, you see that they have a move list, with navigable highlites to the moves and/or variations. this is what i want. not an inert screen that has not way to place the board where you want it in a sequence.

i was able to put my moves into the LT-PGN-EDITOR, produce a two column screen view, then a html pop up (not to make a pop up, but the tool), then open the code to produce another pop up, but that is where it is killing me.

in the narative to the LT-PGN-EDIITOR it talks about choosing "View page source and save the source as a html file. You can further edit this file like any other html file". And that stumped me. But I am way farther than last week, so close!

once i have that, i will solve where to put it ,or just have it directly at my blog.

thanks. regards, dk

Sun Oct 21, 12:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

tempo:
good question. i am working hard in a plateu. i see improvement, but the jump is not there. it is very, very hard. VERY hard.

my plan is, as soon as i am done this unit, by advacing to the next level, to make a big consolidated file (both ICC and now FICS) and work on my opening repatore and analysis of the games, tagging the games, and a lot of endgame analysis.

MY PLAN IS TO MAKE THAT FILE MY CHESS HEAVY WORK IN THE NEXT HALF YEAR, WITH some play added to that. not heavy play with scant analysis. but heavy analysis with lighter play at SLOWER SPEEDS, or less fast, if you will.

again, next big post, so dont want to scoop myself...

the fact that the games were fast is somewhat relevent, but not a main factor. the fruit is there, and ive made a big file for nibbling. lots of content to view. it is literally all there, all situations. a tabula rasa.

its a bit premature, but this really is my named next big posts discussion, but fair of you to ask.

my rating was perking up, but keeps falling off an assymtote and laught if anyone wants, but i will crack through. i was 1400 bullet before at ICC and i am not in the same place now. i am better than before. but, again, future big post in draft!

i am doing 99% CTS, doing GM games each day, and bullet most days, and it all will combine soon. it must.

Sun Oct 21, 12:23:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said...
Do you have chessbase?

10/21/2007 4:24 PM


transformation said...
yes!

10/21/2007 4:56 PM


I said...
dk,

Try this

http://gettingto2000.blogspot.com/2005/01/chessbase-javascript-output.html

Ivan

Mon Oct 22, 09:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Robert Pearson said...

While I've used Chess Publisher before, I'm open to nay improvements and it looks like this may be one. Following your inspiring example, I'm going to do some more research, as well. Thanks for inspiring!

Mon Oct 22, 09:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

It looks good.

Chesspublisher's new ver 2.0 is very good too. After all this talk about 'discussing' what is best it's good to see you jumping in with your feet.

With software the way to find out what is best is almost always to try it and see. What looks best may be too hard to use. That means it isn't best. There is often a tradeoff between usability and features, and the only way to learn your optimum is to give it a shot. What is best is what gives you the optimal tradeoff.

Mon Oct 22, 11:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

This one posted at the site you linked to is amazingly simple! Fantastic.

Mon Oct 22, 12:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

This link takes you directly to the page where you paste pgn, click a button, and out pops the game. Then click on 'include the game as a frame in your page' and voila that's the code to put on your page. Very nice.

None are as easy to use as chess.com. Hopefully they'll have it so you can show it on your blog soon. Not that I ever will. It slows browsers down too much for my tastes to show games right in my posts!!

Mon Oct 22, 12:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ivan said...

What I like about using chessbase and putting the resulting files on your own site is that you don't have to depend on anyone else

Mon Oct 22, 12:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

i
----------
yes, i have chessbase9. as i said above. sorry if you missed that @your blog in reply, and i thank you. i read your post on this, as you link. havent tried it yet.

im behind the eight ball this morning. i just had my one day off for 11 days yesterday, and cooked a whole organic chicken and processed it, stripping it, render the fat off, and reducing the bones for stock.

i eat little meet, but what i eat is my zen rock garden there... liquid love for soups. a mess. dishes fill my sink from late, which is the only time i leave them. i must be quiet for the renter in my basement, as he is quiet for me. fair is fair!

i work late, and go to bed very late, so behind eight ball now--sleep 6:20am to 12:30 pm and start work at two, so hard to respond to all.

BDK:
--------
omg: THAT is the version two? i saw that, linked at end of this post. yes, thats what i want, navigable moves. i will try that.

warmly, dk

Mon Oct 22, 12:57:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home