Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Grab Not Grob














Serious chess study is almost an absolute impossibility amidst the shifting sands of life or the churning seas of the ocean.

After years of integration, the miraculous is almost ready to happen: while assisting a customer, two weeks ago, with a routine question easily dismissed as 'not in my area' when the plumbers were otherwise occupied (read mischeduled or 'out to lunch'), I dove in with both feet and insisted on getting his question answered. I called our store in Bellevue. Imagine, you cannot call down the hall but must call another more trusted location: Bellevue in lieu of Seattle, which is, incidentally, not far from Microsoft in Redmond or Medina where no less than Bill Gates Lives.

Long story, fast forward: in the course of quickly giving him outstanding service, just for sport, not for money or honor, as I am want to do, he realized that he knew me. Ken, who I will mention in a second, recalled having invited me to his house four years ago for a New Years Party, all from a deep conversation in my former haunt in flooring which, again at our store, annoyingly included wire shelving: read cut myriads of wire shelving with irritatingly loud and dull phenumatic shears.














I decided upon a second encounter with Ken, not to attend, very deliberately not to attend with a courteous email to count me out. He seemed rambunctious, and I had quit drinking in September of that year, and was in protection mode from all possible or elective disturbance.

So we finally recognize each other, and have a connection which is vivid four years latter again, only he has changed and I have changed. He is present in the moment, as I am... "Gosh, how are you at computing? I am CFO of a start up, and we sure could use a person like you..."

I check the website. Oh my god.... this is it. I email him within 24 hours, and the die is cast. Four rapid emails at 1 am in realtime, and I decide to go for broke and test the waters, and send him a dk-esque email as you can all imagine, with ONE OF MY CRAZY PHOTOS, THINKING 'if this doesn't stop them, then this will be ok and I can be accepted'.



As I drove home, this is the first thing I heard on the Radio!

You know how he responds? "To work at L., you have to be a little bit crazy, and you will fit in perfectly"...

I read the Mezzanene B financing PDF and all kinds of alarm bells are going off in my head... interview set up, hours of preparation, read a 54 page doc, and watch four YouTube promotional videos. This stuff is cool, I am thinking, I cannot sell what I do not believe in. They need a Customer Service Guru and Ken saw me, all while taking care of him at the store, take care of swarms of persons calmly...





















Today I had a several hour interview. He hugged me at the door. I used an example of the leasons learned in three marriages (not me = 0) off the top of my head, and he reaches behind him, shows me a photo of his wife, and it is his 'third marriage', yes, I tell him, 'I AM AN INTUITIVE'.

So this ties together architect, financial sales, CRM or customer resource management, buildings, and knowledge managment, project management , and contact management...

First interview with G: "Yes, you were in charge of OEM licensing at Microsoft and program management?" "Yes, HOW did you know that?" "Well, I read the whole report and it is all here", pointing at my head, "I had a photographic memory when I was 18..."

I raise issues about distribution, sub-prime crisis, intellectual property, the works.

I get the tour of the office, I hear Russian. From my job, I can recognize about fifty or more accents, including distinguishing Somali from Eritrian or Etheopian, Persia from Arabic.... we round the corner, and there is a chess position set up at a board, 'to capture the win for everyone'. Bunch of Russian Engineers! Here I am.

I take Ken down the hall, from the stair landing: pointing to the street directional arrows: "Did you ever notice that those match the company logo???!!!" "David, this is why I love creative people"...
















I of course memorized the names of all their markets, no mention of Dubai... "Have you guys thougth about Dubai?" "You saw that?" "No, it just came to me now with Japan and Switzerland, Germany..."






















The Entropic Break Point of our Planet: Aerial View of Burj Dubai and the Mall underneath

He said that had had other offers to sell and could go public, but prefer to build the company first. I mention Honeywell, Siemens, Motorolla, General Electric, then he says 'those are all obvious ones" but 'what about Microsoft or google?'. They are in wireless home automation...
















These guys are grabbing me. Love is like that, business is like that, friendship is like that, the pets that somehow find us are like that, books are like that, spiritual teachers are like that, and even blogs can be like that. :)

I'd be surprised if I didn't get the job, but they must raise another million or two to get to six. Life is amazing. And, guess what? Out of 'the retail environment' I can join the USCF with more weekends free, a lot more in fact, and meet some more of you here, or on the road goodness sake!

24 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Maybe a bit too early to congratulate you but that sounds great!

Tue Apr 15, 07:17:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Matthew said...

Checking out your chess blog, loved it.

Tue Apr 15, 08:58:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Wishes.

grunt grunt

Getting to 2000

Tue Apr 15, 01:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger tanch said...

funny how life turns round and round, coming full circle sometimes.

i hope it works out well for you, dk.

best of luck!

Tue Apr 15, 02:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Robert Pearson said...

Silent voiceless prompting said indeed check out dk for good thoughts and YES.

Tue Apr 15, 03:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

@matthew: glad to have a good christian man visiting here! i need the lord almighty, thats for sure!

@ivan: you are one heck of a chess player, and i wish you love and peace. i can let it all go if you will, please. how are you back there in the cold central north, kind sir?

@tanc: i am busy, busy, busy. dont forget, i have a company sixty or so out of 10,000 public american companies breathing down my neck forty hours per week, also. my company is relentless and unrelenting. then chess, then cooking, then my opportunity in the netherlands, blogging, then my cat, then holistic health, and last but in no way least, my chess project on the side with one of our notable bloggers currently under massive review (i did the project document, to map, roles, procedures, agreements, unresolved issues... sorry, latter on that one!)

@Wahrheit: how did you like THAT tune bro?? driving my saab turbo back home to the techno beat of mother earth. stock options. it is truly goods grace to have your good thoughts. may god bless your arms, your legs, your hands, you children, your wife, your home, your standard chess...

@me: USCF baby, is what i am thinking if i get this and once situated!

love to all, dk

Tue Apr 15, 06:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Phaedrus said...

DK


The blogosphere appears to be pregnant of expectation and good vibes.

Your surrounded with some good men and women here, that's for sure.

Wed Apr 16, 12:00:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love and peace to you too. The weather here is wonderful. There is a small chance that I will move back to Dallas.

Getting to 2000

iw

Wed Apr 16, 08:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger drunknknite said...

NICE! Hearing this story made my day. I've been a little down on my job lately and I had begun to lose faith in the powers that be. But things always seem to go the right way. Just imagine if you were cooped up answering phones for the feds right now, you would never have seen this guy again....

Wed Apr 16, 10:22:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great.

maybe you'll see the super beautiful liz v in your games.

Thu Apr 17, 07:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Glenn Wilson said...

Sounds great! Good luck.

Fri Apr 18, 05:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger BlunderProne said...

I am on pins and needles... I hope you hear soon.

Best wishes. Believe in yourself, this one sounds like it is yours.

Fri Apr 18, 12:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Chessaholic said...

Awesome DK! Good things happen to good people they say. Hope it works out for you, it sure sounds like all the pieces are falling into place. I could use some serendipity like that right now.

Sat Apr 19, 09:26:00 AM PDT  
Blogger likesforests said...

What an interesting experience! I hope the position works out for you.

Sat Apr 19, 02:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger wang said...

Well this is good news indeed. I wish you luck my friend.

Mon Apr 21, 12:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like karmic reward for doing an honest job honestly and with good intent. i hope you get the perfect job for you. you gotta tell us when you get the job.

Tue Apr 22, 08:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Polly said...

Awesome! I hope it all works out for you. I'm eagerly awaiting your for your news regarding this job, and your chess project.

Tue Apr 22, 02:05:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new possibilities, seemingly random occurances are the most exciting ones in my opinion.

Fri Apr 25, 12:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger likesforests said...

This morning I setup RSS feeds so I wouldn't miss any articles on my favorite sites (and could cut down on time checking for them)... but I noticed your blog doesn't have an "RSS Subscribe" option. You may have accidentally turned it off in your blog settings?

Sun Apr 27, 08:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

i FINALLY did the same months ago, and it is the only way to go.

as you may know, blogger has fifteen more problems than two years ago when WE ALL 'took off here', it seems.

time to time, the only way to fix the forward emails on my account is to change key settings, and i probably inadvertently mashed it. i will fix now. seriously

interesting: couldnt at glennWilson chess FOREVER AND just last night or the day before you could, and he commented me back that because of me he detected it and fixed it. imagine that timing now!

the cosmos is vast.

my fourth blog now has a post per day. wont miss any days, either. all short missives. please visit.

comments, unlike at my chess blog not expected. writing by me for me and whatever else if any comes is ok by me.

Sun Apr 27, 12:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

likeF: feed is set up. based on rapidity of some correspondents to comment back, hard to see that it is NOT set up, that is to say RSS Feed.

please revisit and, if you dont mind, let me now.

thx for your care, dk

Sun Apr 27, 12:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger likesforests said...

Heh. RSS on your page still isn't working for me. I think the switch is under Settings | Site Feed.

Tue Apr 29, 09:02:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

@likeForests, sorry for my further response, slept twelve hours last night, full, when i normally dont sleep more than six or seven...

i have checked this, and rechecked this, and rechecked my recheck.

best i can offer, is in my next post when i discuss:

the recently completed version, dk-Classic-GM game 5,231 game database,

my co-project 'with a leading blogger' project to be soon announced,

and further more mundane household or housekepping items, can and will ask everybody what experiences they have with this.

i kindly ask, not here, please all other readers. i need to rest. database finished tonight (after four weeks of steady work), and just finished processing another 2,200 games, often in careful detail. errrrrr. ewwweee. errrr.

thank you, and sorry for the trouble baring further inputs and necessary investigation. blogger CAN be finicky, and things it is supposed to do, it does not do, then latter on does do... dk

Wed Apr 30, 12:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

go fuck yourself with a Shiva lingam up your own ass. you scum.

Thu Apr 08, 12:57:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home