Friday, December 05, 2008

Alzheimer ELO

















The bad news is I honestly remembered it that way, but heck, its been 37 years since 1973 when I last played! If I intended to misrepresent this to you guys and gals, the last three years, I would NEVER publish this. LOL on dk. Fire at me guys!

The good news is, I am serious about this, that way friends and foe alike will be able to find me online:

Dear Walter:

Charles Galore (FM) of Florida told me you were very responsive, and this is greatly appreciated. He also said you were very nice.

What a delight to not only get positive confirmation from the USCF, but at that to receive it from one of the well known Sanctus Sanctus of enterprising chess from the same era that I also played, albeit at my MUCH lower level back in the day. How poetic!

Question, but correct me if I am wrong, but will the variability of future wins/loses for my next 14 games (I assume this makes the 25 required to no longer be provisional) still be tied to calculations using the old rated 11 players, from before? That is to say, is it true those are used, and not that you start me at 1452, and only calculate 14 games? I don’t know how this works, but need a little reassurance there is a solid method from grandfathered ratings.

I will be sure to send good words back to the good GM Yaz.

Thank you again!

Warmest, dk





















When Help Comes: Even Bobby Fischer to Wade...

-----Original Message-----

From: Walter Brown wbrown@_________.com
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 1:12 PM
To: transformation@_________.com
Subject: Re: USCF 8323: Ratings Question or Problem
U.S. Chess Web Inquiry wrote:


SUBMITTED TO WEB CONTACT PAGE
From: David Korn, Seattle
Date: Wed 3 Dec 2008 6:49:29 pm CST
Agent: Mozilla/4.0
Subject: USCF 8323: Ratings Question or Problem

Dear USCF:

I plan on re-joining the USCF, but have been away for 34 years! I was 1667 or 1671 or 1668 elo, provisional, at age 14, for 12/14 or 16 games, cannot recall, maybe 8 games but think more. It was published in the back of the old Chess Life & Review for the next three years. I lived in New Jersey. Born October __, 1958. Member, Montclair Chess Club, tournament director Al Gruter (sp?).

I am told that the USCF always wants to know if you have ever played in a rated tournament before, so wish to be prepared and know the procedure.

The condition of my joining is the suitable resolution of this. Thank you.

David Korn
close friend of GM Seirawan's.


David Korn: I found your record in the 1975 annual list and you were 1452 for 11 games.
Walter Brown, USCF
[1]



Please, if any of you suffer from Sadness or Depression,
do not play this Johnny Cash video. Warning.


That said, it is among his best ever songs. It might rip your heart in two to hear it [2].

On a more serious note, I heard from the State today. Leave it to likeForest to be one step ahead of everyone else, ALWAYS. For on Thanksgiving day, he simply asks me: 'Are they going to pursue terminate with cause?' ... guy even knows the exact term.

I just spent the entire day writing my side of the story, and now I need to go run for a whole hour to work off the shakes and trembles and tension. Sleep on the deadly contaminated waste, and FAX them the letter tomorrow after revision founded on rest. Bastards in corporate will do all they can to save a dime. Really.

I told it like it is. My boss, and my old boss copied me their two letters tdoay, and both are, to say the least, not at all accurate (which is putting it nicely) as to the facts, obligating me all the more so to set it the record straight as I don't want to be in any way associated with this story that they tell. Damn.

Warmest, dk [3]

...
..
.

[1] Polly aka Castling Queenside, bless her kindest beautiful heart is also mailing me a photocopy of the same GM Brown referenced. LikeForest also so kindly and generously offered to make a special trip to the library to furninsh the same. All great friends! Thank you!

[2] I am particularly indebted to my very dear friend and now colleague, Phaedrus, for sending me this vdieo. He only sends me fine jewels because he himself is one also.


[3] In college, the hardest professor called me Korn's Cornucopia on a good day.
'The cornucopia (Latin: Cornu Copiae) is a symbol of food and abundance'.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been 36 years hasn't it or you were 16 at the time? Ranking as an average tournament player (class C) after only 11 or so games at the age of 14 seems pretty good to me.

Your former company's unemployeement insurance rates will go up otherwise so they will fight hard.

I have to say I think looking for a job in the current economy might be more of a full time job than an actual full time job. It's 1974 all over again.

Fri Dec 05, 08:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger transformation said...

i was just 14 and in the obscesse phase of chess, the reason my mother outlawed my playing firmly and strictly. its one of those things that people say *hugh* to, but good or bad, i did as necessary win a full schoolarship to a great school, harder to get into than MIT or harvard, i always say. 4% admissions is most competitive.

be that as it may, i think the reason i honestly misrecollected it, is that i was playing far and above towards 1600, but was just starting to compete (not to play), so always behind. i am 100% certain of it. i was beating 1600's. but that was then.

at the same time, ratings inflated a lot, so that was a lot higher than now.

job markets? damn, you bet. i have given up on monster and career builder, and am now ramping up a path the way any salespperson does it, they cold call and sell. hard work, but i can do it.

the major impediment is depression, and tends to make us the opposite of 'cold call cowboy', the legendary cold call king of brokerage famous for his volume and never say die attitude.

warmest, dk

PS, back then i had also run the jersey shore marathon at 3:37:38 or 8:14 miles. i was on track for haloed 3 hours, but crashed in energy late in the race. more an item i am proud of, was my resting heart rate of 33/32, like an super endurance athlete such as lance armstrong and similar. his heart was probably a lot bigger, but i had the efficiency side going without the shear power.

after many burgers and fries and pizza latter, it was still 49 in my late 30's but is now 62. i plan to get it back to 59.

warmest, dk

Fri Dec 05, 08:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger wang said...

Hey if you want e-mail me and I can try and contact you with my headhunter. He places people anywhere, but his focus is on manufacturing and industrial type of work. I'm not sure if that is up your alley or not.

Good luck with the rating thing, and more importantly good luck with your job search.

Sat Dec 06, 10:54:00 AM PST  
Blogger transformation said...

id like to speak with him, thank you.

i am indeed not in the manufacturing arena directly, or much industrial, but i am very, very interested in RFID (radio frequency ID, that is to say finding tiny things in large places and counting freight as it comes into a facility) as a future area of growth; interested in project and knowledge management software; and lastly as relates to your question, believe that an architect with a very broad and technical background goes along with what are called coatings, specialty coatings.

i am not a chemist. but can speak to all the things such as weather, exposed roofs and surfaces, facilities, maintainance, and the building as an enterprise as distinct from a mere object.

you should have my email from the gmC days, but if not, globalmiddlegame do t ko m. from there, i can email you from my 'real' address.

thanks! dk

Sat Dec 06, 11:37:00 AM PST  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Good to know you found your record. Memory is a weird thing.

Can't wait to hear about your first tournament. It is always so much more fun and intense than ICC. I'm not even 1100 USCF.

Sat Dec 06, 08:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger es_trick said...

The good thing about having a rating that's 200-400 points below your playing strength, is that it gives you the opportunity to garner some prize money. :-)

Tue Dec 09, 08:07:00 AM PST  
Blogger es_trick said...

BTW, a provisional rating based on 11 games is the average of your performance in all 11 games.

So, for example, if you played in 3 tournaments, and your performance rating was 1000 in the first one, then your performance rating would have had to have averaged in the high 1600's in your next two events in order to be at 1450.

So, maybe you were just recollecting your performance rating from your last event.

Tue Dec 09, 03:16:00 PM PST  
Blogger es_trick said...

Another btw, since my mother made very little attempt to discourage me from spending way too much time on chess in HS, that may be a reason why I ended up going to a 3rd tier college, instead of getting into a 1st or 2nd tier university.

Tue Dec 09, 03:18:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home