Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Taming Squadron


I have not worked or had regular income since the day before Thanksgiving in 2008 [1]. Needless to say, its been hard. Do I have time to blog? Probably. Extra mental energy? Maybe, maybe not.

But those of you who know me, are aware that I have been playing chess all along. Hiatus from the bloggesphere? Yes. Absence from chess? Not hardly. But far be it for me to say that I have been luxuriating in endless and sweet reverie in chess, I have not.

I have played plenty, just not at all times. One needs piece of mind to give chess ones all, and I do NOT play for fun. I play for sport, to win, to kill and destroy. Chess is war the way I do it--its all business.


Where I am currently making a big breakthrough is:

Playing regularly in scale, instead of as I did before--marathon sessions for weeks, only to thereafter HAVE TO stop due to stress and exhaustion--and sequestering back in study. Now I try to play every day, or nearly every day, but take more time to review losses, opening prep, CTS, all that. Proportionality and balance.


I am finally 1500 at ICC at 5 0. A rippedly bloody harsh game. My blitz is at 1531, and soon to be 1600 (its out of date now), which ranks 6,732 out of 14,442, but the 5-Minute ranks only 2306 out of 4,153 yet is far more competitive. I also plan to finally hit 1500 at bullet--and I do not mean 1 0--but 0 4, which starts with 12 seconds at ICC and ten at FICS, and can easily have 4 minute games with long endings, avoiding silly Armageddon.

Love to all, dk

[1] But as is plain to see for the eyes, am not doing badly in ALL areas: my beloved Courtney, whom I met on twitter--been to visit in Seattle twice. 23 day second date. Two folks not totally familiar in one tiny house for 3+ weeks without ever going to total war is a good sign. She is the best woman ever! Needless to say, she is very type B to my type A, and so it works....

7 Comments:

Blogger rockyrook said...

Good to see you post again! Congrats on the increased blitz rating ... impressive indeed.

Wed Jan 27, 01:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger CMoB said...

Nice to hear from you again.

Wed Jan 27, 09:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Congratulations on the growth in your relationship, and in your approach to chess.

The job market in the Northwest is brutal from what I've heard hang in there bro.

Thu Jan 28, 09:55:00 AM PST  
Blogger Polly said...

He's alive! So nice to see you post and comment on BDK's blog.

Nice improvement chesswise and good to have a relationship with someone on compliments your personality.

Hopefully it won't be 5 months between posts.

Thu Jan 28, 04:34:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to see you posting. I am glad you are finding your way and that some good things are emerging for you. (Tell your lovely friend that we think you are wonderful.)

I am happy to have a spouse that encourages me to play/study chess. She understands that it is good for me.

She is busy with a P.H.D. program and our kids are in college or beyond, so I have a fair ammount of time for myself.

I am working on what I call 1001 Arabian Knightmares, where I play that many games in one opening system, mostly on FICS, against as high rated, and as slow a time control as I can get.

No bullet for me.

Wed Feb 03, 01:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger transformation said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Feb 03, 02:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger transformation said...

i am totally honored for all the replies.

@Rocky, thanks, its humbling. i only win 37% of my bullet, 27% of my blitz, and take a beating daily.
@cMoB nice to see you!
@BDK thanks for your encouragement. i value you very much. i will read infinite jest or at least, see the rest of the video. amazing. now you know why i haven't done acid since 1983. my girlfriend and i laugh ALL the time. if the sheets are not pulled up square and straight while sleeping, i feel anxiety. she is a covers all over kinda gal, the atom bomb for sheets. we compliment well. me? my refrigerator ranks orders for L to R by degree of age, and type. go figure. this is the first year in ten or more years, i have run in the new year w/out counting. now, thats what i call recovery!
@polly. love you, you good soul. i plan to see you again. you are to kindness and goodness what balloons are to big texas skys.
@me. life is hard.

people in my situation rarely need criticism or suggestions.

its like the folks who can teach college instead of attending... in the end, knowing much doesnt help, and life is embodied in physicality, much as natural systems are accumulated, distributed, reproducing or dying, diminished or amplified...

you have to go thru it. you cannot just will or think it. bright white teeth aside, Anthony Robbins is not all bad, despite Saturday Night-live-esque ballyhoo aside, but at a certain point in life, you just dont bounce out of bed and reprogram yourself.

life is patterned, and calcified. sometimes were are rigid in our strengths, too. resilient at what we do best, our tendencies, to put it in homeopathic terms.

love, dk

Wed Feb

Wed Feb 03, 02:42:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home