Sunday, June 06, 2010

Chess 960















If you have not tried Chess960--aka Fischer Random Chess--then you are missing out.  Chess960 randomizes the starting piece layout, but otherwise castling and all the normal rules of chess clearly apply.  Both ICC and chessCube offer it, the prior in the aforementioned 'pool' (pairs players automatically, disallowing players choosing opposition, that is to say, avoiding upper or lower rated players).

It forces the issue on positional assessment early on, and sharpens tactics, marginalizing the inescapable and ever present rubric of openings and opening tabiya's.  Wow.  Very strong medicine.





















I just spent a night playing, and at 1300 to 1400 960 rated, 80% of my opposition were dudes with 2000 blitz, bullet, and 5 0 ratings alike... its like 'chess dying'. 5 wins, 16 loses 1 draw= 21.  Jesus fu_ck.  Try it out.  Its like a chess final exam.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Liquid Egg Product said...

But it's so hard to have to think for myself.

Tue Jun 08, 05:55:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David, I was wondering if you're still in contact with Yasser Seirawan? Reason is, I know he's in London tomorrow and I have a friend who I'd like to gift a lesson to, I'd like to find out how much it would cost me.

Hope you can help,
Thanks,
Annoniemouse

Wed Jun 09, 05:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

we are close friends. i just emailed him before reading your comment. i will forward your note to him. he is really retired from chess, but plays a bit for his Dutch Leagues, but a bit more outside that of recent.

you need to email me at globalmiddlegame at g mail dot com, if this is to happen, but A. cannot promise, and B. not sure he will or can do it like this, with meetings and other uncertainties. we have to get choosy as we get older.

at the same time, you are to be applauded for your most generous effort and intentions. what a good friend.

Wed Jun 09, 10:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

email sent just now. fingers crossed for you, but busy guy.

Wed Jun 09, 10:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger transformation said...

he wrote back. truly impossible, packed trip. sorry. maybe some other day, one day?

i figured this. but your friendship had to be respected. thank you, dk

Wed Jun 09, 11:21:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This chess applet can play chess960 with 4 levels of difficulty:

http://bremboce.cisana.com/play-chess-online-against-computer.php

Sat Aug 07, 05:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger takchess said...

Hi DK,
Let me know your handle on playchess.com. I'll add you to my friends list.

It would be interesting to play a game.

I play as takchess.

Jim

Wed Dec 29, 07:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ivan said...

long time, no hear..........

Thu Feb 17, 09:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger HarryO said...

Hi Transformation
Thank you for showing your interest in Chess960! It is a wonderfully creative way to play chess. Could I suggest that you take a look at one of the seminal bloggers on Chess960 who has been doing it for years:
http://chess960frc.blogspot.com/

I also blog on Chess960 in case you would like to have a look:
http://chess960jungle.blogspot.com/

The Chess960 community needs support because the uptake has been slow. Please pass the word on where you can. Chess960 has huge benefits for education as well, as I talk a lot about in my blog.

Cheers, best wishes
Harry

Sun Jun 19, 10:38:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home